Pastor Sue’s Chili Recipe
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 lbs. extra lean ground beef
1 large yellow onion,chopped
4 cloves garlic,minced
2 tsp. chili powder
4 tsp. cumin powder
4 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3 whole dried chili de arbol peppers
1 28 oz. can Tomato Puree
1 28 oz. can whole peeled Tomatoes (plum tomatoes are great)
3 cans Chili Beans (or your favorite kidney, pinto, or black beans)
1. Brown ground beef in skillet. (Use 1 tbsp of olive oil if too dry.)
2. In a large cooking pot or slow cooker saute chopped onion in 2 tbsp. olive oil till translucent, tender.
3. Add minced garlic to onion, saute a bit to mingle flavors.
4. Add 1 tsp. chili powder, 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp.
cinnamon, 2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper to meat as its browning, stir into meat.
5. Add rest of spices and salt to onion and garlic, stir till mingled and spices begin to cook.
6. Add browned meat to onion and garlic in slow cooker.
7. Add 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes with juice to slow cooker, stirring and breaking the tomatoes into small bits.
8. Add 1 28 oz. can Tomato Puree to slow cooker. Add 2 whole dried chili arbol peppers to chili, and 1 crushed chili arbol pepper to pot.
9. Set temperature on lowest setting to simmer slowly for several hours.
10. Do a taste to determine if more salt, spices are needed. ( I have been known to add more of all the above spices!:)
11. Add 3 cans of Chili beans or your favorite bean to the chili.
Cook 20 min. more till beans are heated through.
12. Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings; cheese, chopped onions, crackers, etc.