Made on the Grubb family farm at Beechmount, Co. Tipperary. Many thanks to the talented Mickey Ffrench Davis.
Serves 4 / Prep. Time 40mins
• 400g butternut squash
• 200g beetroot
• 150g Cashel Blue® cheese (in small slices)
• 150g quinoa
• 150g walnuts
• 30g rocket
• 1 clove of garlic (crushed with sea salt
• 3 teaspoons of runny honey
• 1.5 dessertspoons apple cider vinegar
• 1 sprig of rosemary
• 4 sprigs of thyme
• sea salt and pepper
• Dressing: 1 part cider vinegar to 2 parts olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon honey
1. Spread tin foil on a large baking tray, and preheat the oven to 200˚C.
2. Peel and cube the butternut squash and spread over the tin foil. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, add a little oil and season well. Then wrap up the tin foil around the squash to make a parcel.
3. Peel the beetroot and slice into wedges, placing them directly onto the tray beside the parcel. Pop in the oven and roast until soft, approx. 20-25 minutes.
4. Cook quinoa according to instructions on packet, drain well and then leave to cool.
5. Fineley dice the onion. Fry in 1 desertspoon of olive oil, making sure to coat the onions well in oil. Add the garlic, season and cook until soft (5-6 mins). When soft, add honey, cider vinegar and rosemary, and continue frying until brown (approx. 5mins).
6. Crush the walnuts and roast for 4 minutes, 200˚C.
7. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add the dressing.
8. Top the salad with Cashel Blue® cheese and serve on its own, or with some quality ham or bacon.
For more tasty blue cheese recipes visit cashelblue.com/recipe